Eagle nest

Permits and Licenses

Federal and state agencies require environmental research and assessment organizations to obtain certain permits and licenses to engage in collecting special status species of plants and animals that otherwise would be prohibited by law. The permits provide a means to balance use and conservation of protected species, according to conservation laws and treaties. These include the Endangered Species Act, Migratory Bird Treaty Act, and Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act. In addition, a federal license is required to receive, prepare, and ship samples of environmental media contaminated by radioactive materials.

EAS has held or holds the following permits and license:

  • U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Migratory Bird Collecting Permit
  • Oregon and Washington Departments of Fish and Wildlife Scientific Collecting Permits
  • Federal (NMFS and USFW) Scientific Collecting Permits for Fishes (including Sections 7 and 10 of the Endangered Species Act take authorizations)
  • Master Bird Banding Authorization
  • Radioactive Materials License for Receiving, Preparing, and Shipping Samples for Analysis.